Sunday 20 September 2009

Thursday evening we decided to have a bit of culture and headed of to the Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) as it was half price. Did have to laugh as I said to Ivana as we were walking up the stairs I do hope this is not going to involve urinals ... guess what the first thing we saw was? You got it a urinal and it wasn't the only one!!! But aside from that we saw a really fun exhibit of minature poodles a bit like the terracota warriors just little poodles instead (see pic) there was also quite a lots of Matise as well as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera which were great and upstairs they had a great photogrpahy exhibition most from Chinese and Japanese photographers but also some great English and American ones in particular Helen Levitt stood out to me with her black and white photos of children playing in the Bronx in the 30s. After this we walked up to Little Italy for a plate of pasta and a glass of chianti before walking back via China Town.

Friday Ivana and I headed off to Berkley on the BART which whilst needs a bit of updating is much more comfortable than the good old tube even if it lacks character. I should at this point probably introduce you all to Kenny (see pic, not a good one of me I know I look ill but I'm fine honest) ... Kenny is from Kernow (Cornwall) and is my little travelling guardian bear who up until this point has been a party bear (otherwise known as forgotten in the cupboard ... ooops) but will now be featuring every so often in my photos as he travels around with me. So Kenny's first trip was to Berkley.



Back to the story ... so 30 mins later we were in Berkley and headed up to the University campus and into the most amazing library you have ever seen (Ivana has a photo, we weren't meant to take them, so when I get a copy I will add it here) it was all wood panelling, leather, low lights, like something out of a film that you never think actually exsists. I did get a photo of Mark Twain who was lounging outside though and we had a look round a photogrpahy exhibition of past students, building and events before heading down to the Student Union shop to have a nosy and then to lunch at Smart Alec's on Telegraph Street. WE then got a bus over to the Gilmore Shopping Centre as there is a North Face outlet over there that Ivana wanted to go to. After about an hour we headed back grabbed a juice and hopped on the BART back to town, where we wandered round the shops for a bit before grabbing a salad for tea and flopping for the evening.



Saturday I didn't do much during the day wandered around town for a bit, topped a few things that I need for the next part of my trip, had a veggie burito for lunch which was yummy and then spent the afternoon doing my washing and reading. Ivana and I then met at 5.30pm, got some food for a picnic and then caught a couple of buses up to Presidio Park for the Shakespear in the Park Festival. They were doing Comedy of Errors which was brilliantly done if a little strange to hear it done with American accents but OH MY GOD it was SOooooooooooooooooooo cold!!!!! I couldn't feel my toes by the time we left and was so glad to get back to the hotel and hop into bed with a cup of tea ... I'm so English ;-)

Today we're having a relaxed day and going for Dim Sum at a restaurant that has been recommended and then to the cinema probably to see a RomCom as I have put in a request for no blood and guts this time ;-)

So a short update this time and probalby only one more now before I leave San Fran the time has gone so quickly but it has been brilliant.

LOVED: The weather, architecture, people (mostly), sea lions, Yosemite, Alcatraz, being so close to the sea, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, being able to walk everywhere pretty much, Jamba Juice.

WON'T MISS: The 6 flights of stairs I have to climb to get to my room, the noisy fire engines (they are soooo loud), so many crazy homeless people.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IN SAMOA: Diving!!!! The beach, the sea, kicking back, Robert Louis Stevesons house, the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment