Tuesday 8 September 2009

San Francisco

Well after a weekend of tears finished off with a tearful good bye at the airport I was finally on my way and after a relatively comfy flight, 5 films, a GU pudding and 10.5 hrs I arrived in a very sunny, warm San Fran. Having filled out what felt like the same information 3 times I then faced a queue I have never seen the like of before it was at least 10 deep at over 40 counters and then there was a snaking queue that went on forever ... but to be fair it moved very quickly. So after I was finger printed and had my mug shot taken (welcome to America!) I headed off to get my bag and then to customs where I was asked if I was backpacking and had to really bite my tounge to avoid a sarcastic response of "what gave it away?" bearing in mind I had a 70 litre rucksack on my back and a 30 litre rucksack on my front!!

Next stop was the BART and 30 mins later I was in the centre of San Fran and immediately was greeted by music, singing, wonderful smells of food, fab architecture and lots of colour and now I started to smile. Not for long however as I managed to get very lost trying to find the hostel. Eventually arrived and my heart sank as I was told I was in their sister hotel The Dakota but it shouldn't because my room is miles better than I thought it would be and I'm really high up so have a great view, lovely comfy bed, fridge, microwave, my own bathroom and a TV ... its like being at home ;-)

So with a spring in my step I unpacked, had a shower and decided to go for a walk around and get something light to eat and this is where I realised I am going to have to speak up when ordering as I somehow managed to end up with 2 hot chocolates and when I asked for a bag she told me the time.

So my thoughts so far are that San Fran is great, the people I have come across so far have been lovely and really helpful but I have been really surprised by the number of homeless people here though at least 3 or 4 on every road/corner.

Day 2 now and after waking up at 3am I did eventually get up at 7am and have just had breakfast before I head out to explore Mark Twain Street (just for you Luigi) and down by the piers.

Will add some photos soon I promise but I need to take some first ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Ordered 2 hot chocolates by accident....A likely story! ;o)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the seals, the seals! You must go check out the seals on the pier! Honk honk!

    ReplyDelete