Friday 11 September 2009


Another few jam packed days and still the sun shines and the temperature is getting hotter ... loving it.

So yesterday was China Town which was fascinating and you could really see the old San Fran in the buildings in that part of town, so much character and again an assault on the senses, in places not terribly pleasant but on the whole it was great. I had a wander round some of the odds and sods shops where you could've spent a fortune just because it was such a bargain but I refrained ... I hope you're all very proud of me ;-)

So I walked up to St Mary's Square and saw the statue of Sun Yat-sen the first president of China, listened to the old guys playing a traditional chinese instrument that we all know the sound of but I have no idea what its called ... Fang perhaps you can help?, found the healing centre (I think) and then decided it was time for lunch but was upset to find that the Dim Sum place I had read about and wanted to go to has shut down so instead headed to the Eastern Bakery to buy a mooncake instead ... no substitute I'm afraid it was sweet and pretty tasteless, not a good food day. The rest of the day was fairly non-eventful, avoided the $5 dinner as it was the same as the night before and by 9.30pm my eyes were closing.


Up bright and early at 7am and after breakfast took a slow amble down to Pier 33 for my trip to Alcatraz but not before I threw tea down my front and then sat on a wet bench and got a wet bum ... was sensing it wasn't going to be a good day. But it was thr trip out to Alcatraz took about 15 mins and I was there for about 2 hours in total wandering around, listenng to the audio guide, taking video (bit wabbly need some practice) and just soaking up the atmosphere. Had my first look at the Golden Gate bridge which was shrouded in fog, very eerie. Heading back I decided to go and take some video footage of the sea lions who weregreat to see again and then I decided I fancied some seafood and a glass of wine so took myself off to Fishermans Wharf for a slap up lunch, well a slap up lunch on my budget anyway.

Next stop was the cable car, a very kind lady at the hostel gave me the last few days on her travel pass for free yesterday so I thought I'd put it to good use rather than kill myself walking up that huge hill again.

Beef tacos on the $5 menu this evening so I'm off to get my seat in a bit, catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment