Wednesday 9 September 2009


Day 3 already time is flying. So for those of you not on facebook I will be putting some photos on here but not as many as it has just taken me 2 hours to upload 31 photos to facebook!!

So firstly here is a picture of The Dakota Hotel where I am staying, I'm on the 6th floor and as you'll see I have a great view.



I spent 6 hours sight seeing yesterday I walked down through the finacnial district to San Frans tallest building the TransAmerica Pyramid which stands 800 ft tall and can be seen from pretty much anywhere in San Fran. Next door to it is a tiny little park called Redwood Park which has huge Redwoods in it (funnily enough) and a fountain with bronze forgs leaping in it and just the other side bronze statues of children playing, they look a little sinister if you ask me.


Couldn't find Mark Twain street after all that it wasn't whre it should've been according to my map so I headed off towards Custom House and down towards Embarcadero where all the Piers are. Much cooler down here with the breeze coming off the sea but still a beautifully sunny day. I walked through the tacky tourist part of Pier 39 and just as I was giving up hope of finding the sea lions I heard their barking and as I turned the corner there in front of me were about 20 pontoons covered in mostly sleeping sea lions. Some however were barking and fighting for space, definitely survival of the heaviest. Was just thinking to myself that everyone had told me how much they smelt and that I couldn't smell anything and the wind changed ... they were right, PEUUUUWWWW!!


After this I headed round to The Aquarium and had a wander round there, all a bit depressing really as it seemed like hundreds of fish crammed in to such a small area and then upstairs some poor little rays and a shark get the pleasure of being touched my tourists all day ... hmmm, not worht the money in my mind.

Lunch time and I headed to a place called Wipeout for fish tacos which were the dogs apart from the sweetcorn in the rice. Next stop the Trolley Hop for an hours tour round San Fran taking in Russian and Nob Hills, Pacific Heights, Union Squre, China Town, Little Italy, Telegraph Hill and the Financial District. Loved the sign as I sat down that said no weapons on the bus please ... GULP!! Driver was a nutter and took great joy in free wheeling down some very steep hills in particular the one in The Sting with Steve McQueen which is what the driver said but as has been pointed out to me this is actually wrong and the film was Bullit ... whatever my stomach was in my mouth!!

So feeling a little weary decided to walk back to the hotel ... big mistake had to climb a hill that felt like it was at a 90 degree angle but boy was it worth it for the views when I got to the top (see right). Spent the rest of the afternoon chilling and mooching about and just about managed to stay awake for my $5 dinner at the hostel of cheese and broccoli soup (I avoided this) and chicken pesto, rataoui (I know I've spelt it wrong) and salad - huge portion well worth the money. Didn't meet anyone over dinner as seatng was VERY limited (lots of people had to stand) and I was sat on a bar stool facing the wall and to be honest was knackered so headed back to bed. Feeling better today and getting used to the 8 hour time difference now so hopefully get chatting to a few people today.

China Town today and a slightly more relaxed day than yesterday ... Alcatraz tomorrow :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment