Tuesday 13 October 2009

New Zealand a little earlier than planned

My first 9 days in New Zealand have been a bit a of a blur trying to sort things out and the British hig Commission in Wellington are to be given a very big pat on the back for turing my passport around in 2 days and HSBC (thanks to some hlep from Jenny) were falling over themselves to make sure I had some money to survive on until my cards arrived ... but its not all been boring paper work.



I am staying in a place called Whangaparoa (said Fongaparoa) about 40 mins North of Auckland. Jeanne and Howard's house is amazing and over looks the sea with a fabulous view of the Auckland skyline and Rangitoto (an extinct volcano) ... well that's when its not raining and you can actually see the view. The weather has not been great since I got here infact I think we've had 3 good days so I feel very at home, every Kiwi I have met has told me this is unseasonal but I'm starting to think they are telling me porkies;-)



I have been to Orewa a little further north from where I am staying where Jeanne and Howard both work but it was a fleating visit to get passport photos (can't believe I am stuck with that photo for the next 10 years) and some basic toiletries. On the way back we stopped at Silverdale so I could pick up some new smalls.



Jules (Jeanne and Howard's niece) gave me a facial last week which was lovely apart from the fact that Rosie (dog) and Rabbit (cat) tried to lick the facepack off my face ... NICE!






There was a bus strike here last week and now management have locked the workers out which is proving very frustrating as I am rely on everyone to drive me around. Anyway Sarah and Amy cam and picked me up on Sat and we had tea and a scone in Mount Eden where they live before driving up to the top of One Tree Hill which is a dormant vocano cone and once was the site of the largest prehistoric Maori settlement in the region. The views of Auckland from up here are amazing 360 degrees and really gives you a feel for the different areas and how much water there is around Auckland.



After this we took a trip to Pak N' Save (I seem to have spent a lot of time in this supermarket which is a cross between Lidol, ASDA and B&Q) and then in the evening we went for a really lovely Italina meal at a place called Sage in Mission Bay.



Sunday was a beautiful day weather wise and after a sushi lunch we headed out to Piha of "Piha Rescue" fame (TV show that shows swimmers and surfers being rescued). Its on the west coast of Auckland and is well known for its strong currents and swiftly changing conditions and is a black sand beach. The waves were incredibly high, you certainly wouldn't have caught me swimming in it. We sat on the beach for a while before walking along and climbing up to the overlook from which the view was amazing ... hopefully will get back there when I have a camera so can show you all some pictures.



Then it was time to head back to Jeanne and Howards for a typical sunday roast which was greatly appreciated and I tried my first Kumara a form of sweet potato which is yummy.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a good time. Hmmm I love sweet potato so will have to check out the Kumara ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS very weird as for every comment they verify you with a word etc which is fine but there is a disabled wheelchair pic next to it - why I wonder? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que? A wheelchair? Are you being rude Ms Davies?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me never - sweet & innocent me ;-) Just like you!!!! Sounds like you are having fun which is good. Trust you to hunt out the ASDA/B&Q like place ;-)

    ReplyDelete